Thursday 28 November 2013

House of a Thousand Corpses Opening




This video is the opening titles to Rob Zombie's House of a Thousand Corpses, a throwback to films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This is the first of three horror film opening sequences I will be analyzing.

The sequence is made up of archive footage that relate to the events and the setting of the film. This is something I will be drawing inspiration from for my opening sequence, as I expressed in my analysis of the World War Z opening sequence.  We see footage of surgery, abandoned houses and skeletons, letting you know straight away it's a horror film (if you didn't figure it out from the title). Combined with this footage is Zombie,s own shots edited with a grainy effect or with the colors reversed. The footage and dark grainy effects help to make it feel like a gritty southern horror. I can draw inspiration from the editing used to help in the creation of my own opening.

The song in that plays during the opening is Zombie's own song that has the same name as the film. The soundtrack helps to add to the atmosphere of the opening, and helps to show how important sound can be in an opening sequence. However, I believe silence may benefit my opening more, making the archive footage to seem more mysterious and freaky.

Overall, this is a great opening sequence. Combining archive footage along with Rob Zombie's sound track and editing, to establish the film as a crazy southern fried horror movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment